SOLTIGA project focuses on the development of computational tools for optimizing the design of aeronautical and marine/maritime functional free-form surfaces, such as airfoils/hydrofoils, wings, blades, and propellers. As a common feature, the functionality of these products depends on their shape and even small variations of it may have significant impact on their performance. Our goal is to develop seamlessly integrated advanced tools for modeling and simulation, targeting the materialization of the design-through-analysis concept, which nowadays constitutes a prerequisite for efficient PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) in all industrial sectors producing highly complex products.
- Establish new Boundary Element Method (BEM) tools for assessing the design of aeronautical and marine/maritime functional free-form surfaces (airfoils/hydrofoils, wind/tidal turbine blades and marine propellers) based on IsoGeometric Analysis (IGA).
- Achieve seamless integration of Computer-Aided-Design (CAD) and numerical-simulation tools by exploiting NURBS and T-splines technology for the exact and low-cost representation of complex geometries.
- Establish an optimization framework that allows the automatic shape optimization of the geometric entities under investigation.
- Apply these tools in design, simulation, and optimization of functional free-form surfaces, which are of significance in aeronautical, shipbuilding and green energy technologies.
- Demonstrate the enhanced properties of the adopted approach through software prototypes for optimizing the performance of airfoils/hydrofoils, wind/tidal turbine blades and marine propellers.
List of publications:
- Azat Amiralin, Yeraly Kalel and Konstantinos V. Kostas, 2018, “Heat Transfer Maximization with the aid of a BEM-Isogeometric solver”, in IGAA 2018, Isogeometric Analysis and Applications, Delft, The Netherlands, April 23-27, 2018 (https://www.tudelft.nl/en/events/2018/ewi/igaa-conference-2018/)
- K. Kostas, A.-A.I. Ginnis, C.G. Politis, and P.D. Kaklis, 2018, “Shape Optimization and inverse problems in heat transfer employing an IGA-BEM approach”, in ECCM-ECFD 2018, 6th European Conference on Computational Mechanics – 7th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, 11-15 June 2018, Glasgow, UK. (http://www.eccm-ecfd2018.org/frontal/default.asp)
- C.G. Politis , A.-A.I. Ginnis , K. Kostas, P.D. Kaklis and S. Chouliaras, 2018, “IGA-BEM for 2D Lifting Flows”, in ECCM-ECFD 2018, 6th European Conference on Computational Mechanics – 7th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, 11-15 June 2018, Glasgow, UK. (http://www.eccm-ecfd2018.org/frontal/default.asp)
- P.D. Kaklis, S. Chouliaras, C.G. Politis, A.-A.I. Ginnis, K. Kostas, 2018, “IGA-BEM for lifting flows”, in WCCMXIII and PANACM II, 13th World Congress in Computational Mechanics, July 22-27, 2018, New York, USA (http://www.wccm2018.org/)
- K.V. Kostas, M.M. Fyrillas, C.G. Politis, A.I. Ginnis and P.D. Kaklis, 2018, “Shape Optimization of conductive-media interfaces that maximize heat transfer using a BEM-Isogeometric solver”, Journal of Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, ISSN 0045-7825, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2018.06.019
- Konstantinos Kostas, Yeraly Kalel and Azat Amiralin, 2019, “Solving 2D Heat Transfer Problems with the aid of a BEM-Isogeometric Solver”, accepted for publication in Lecture Notes in Computational Sciences and Engineering.
- Konstantinos V. Kostas, Panagiotis D. Kaklis and Constantinos G. Politis, 2019, “Refinement strategies for ship wave-resistance estimations using IGABEM solvers”, Isogeometric Analysis Conference IGA2019, Munich, Germany,18-20 September 2019 (http://congress.cimne.com/iga2019/)
- S.P. Chouliaras, P.D. Kaklis, C.G. Politis, K.V. Kostas and A.-A.I. Ginnis, 2019, “An IGA-BEM solver for Lifting Flows around Wings”, Isogeometric Analysis Conference IGA2019, Munich, Germany, 18-20 September 2019 (http://congress.cimne.com/iga2019/)
- G.K. Anagnostopoulos, K.V. Kostas, C.G. Politis, P.D. Kaklis, A.-A.I. Ginnis, “Coupling an inviscid IGA–BEM solver with X-Foil’s boundary layer model for 2D flows”, ”, Isogeometric Analysis Conference IGA2019, Munich, Germany,18-20 September 2019 (http://congress.cimne.com/iga2019/)
- A. Arapakopoulos, R. Polichshuk, Z. Segizbayev, S. Ospanov, A.I. Ginnis, K.V. Kostas , “Parametric models for marine propellers”, under review, Journal of Ocean Engineering
- K.V. Kostas , A. Amiralin, S. Sagimbayev, T. Massalov, Y. Kalel and C.G. Politis, “Parametric model for the reconstruction and representation of hydrofoils and airfoils”, under review, Journal of Ocean Engineering
Project website: http://amrg.nu.edu.kz/soltiga