SEDS pursues collaborative research in life sciences, applied science, and translation of basic research into industrial applications. Specifically, five strategic research and development directions will be pursued during the 2020-2024 period:
1) Energy, Materials and Sustainability;
2) Communications, Computation and Data Analytics;
3) Sustainability and the Built Environment;
4) Robotics and Artificial Intelligence
5) Advanced technologies for Manufacturing, Agriculture, Mining and Health.
SEDS provides a collaborative research environment that encourages faculty to pursue their own research interests within these strategic directions, through the development of mechanisms that emphasize the pursuit of excellence, the respect for the individual and the institution, the free exchange of ideas, and the recognition of achievements based on merit. Collaborations within NU and with national and international partners are strongly encouraged and supported.